Friday, October 12, 2012

Phone Adventure :)

I'm at my local church thrift store one Saturday and I see a  used cordless phone for sale.  I could use a phone for the other side of the apartment and/or bathroom I say to my self, so I get it.  There was a hand-set, a base, a power cord, and a battery.  It was old but good enough for the position of "throw around phone".  This Vtech, VT-9108 cost me the grand sum of one U. S. dollar with no tax.  It was a steal-deal imo, or so I thought.  I get it home and attempt to charge it up for use.  After plugging it in, I hear bubbling sounds and clicking sounds from the hand-set.  Upon closer inspection I find that the bubbling sounds are coming from the Radio Shack replacement battery.  I decide to stop the charge up because that puppy just might blow up!  I go online & find Batterymart dot com (excellent service, great prices, 5 out of five stars) and order a new replacement battery at a cost of USD $10.94 with shipping.  After a five day wait the battery arrives by USPS.  I open up the packages take out the battery and start the charging process.  The bubbling is no longer there but the clicking is louder.  I examine, fumble, and manipulate the unit to stop the sound.  It doesn't stop.  I think maybe this is the way it works so I let it charge up over night trying to sleep with the clicking sound.  The next day the phone doesn't work.

Thought interruption:  Just got a call from my father.  One of his close friends passed away yesterday.  She was cremated today.  Feeling a little bummed because she was my friend too but she had been sick for a while now so it was just her time I guess.  May God bless her soul.  

Thought resumption:  I'm a little handy in this area so I get some of my tools & disassemble the hand-set housing.  I clean off the terminals & lightly wipe the electronic components off.  I open up the base & do the same thing.  The phone still doesn't work and the clicking sound is still there.  I work on the phone for a couple more hours trying different things to no avail.  It was a wash.  I terminated my efforts to revive the Vtech & stashed it in a cabinet.  Oh well, maybe I'll "get lucky" next time if there is a next time.

BOP

No comments:

Post a Comment